fbpx

Filling out and up

• Filling out and up

Posted by Ryan Johnson on October 29, 2018 at 8:18 am

Hey guys! Thought I would put this out there just to see what kind of response I would get. I have been teaching R&R for going on 3 years now and have never encountered this problem. I have several new players on both my 7th grade and 8th grade teams that are having a hard time grasping the fill out and fill up concept. We have drilled and drilled. I have had them walk through it. I have had my more experienced players tag up with them and they are still a little lost. Any suggestions on another approach would be great.

Ryan Johnson replied 5 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Byron Brown

October 29, 2018 at 9:14 am

Okay I learned this from Coach TJ Rosene at one of the R & R camp years ago and it still works with my new players coming in. He said have them talk out everything that they are doing if they are filling make them say and when they are on the baseline have them coach the players.

I hope this helps you and much success to you and your team.

• Coach Rick

Organizer
    October 29, 2018 at 2:03 pm

I agree with Byron. As the ball begins to move, it will sound like:
    “I’m cutting”
    “I’m filling out”
    “I’m filling or I’m filling up”
    “I’m Posting”
    “Laker Cut high”
    “Laker Cut Low”
    “Driving right”
    “Right – Right”
    “Driving Left”
    “Left – Left”
    “Dribble-At – Go!”
    “Pin – Pin”
    “Back screen”

If you add your defense talking, you’ll have the sound of a winning practice! “A quiet gym is a losing gym.”

• Ryan Johnson

October 30, 2018 at 8:16 am

Coach Brown and Coach Rick,
    Thanks so much!Took your words of wisdom and applied it yesterday and had a GREAT practice!I split my kids into groups of 6. For 5 minutes Group 1 did 3 man front cut drill. Group 2 did 3 man rear cut drill. Group 3 did twist passing and pocket drills. Group 4 did ball handling. At the end of the 5 minutes, Groups 1 and 2 ran 5v0 for 5 minutes while Groups 3 and 4 coached them on what to do. At the end of 5 minutes, Groups 3 and 4 did front/rear cuts while Group 1 and 2 did passing/pockets and ball handling for 5 minutes. At the end of 5 minutes, Groups 3 and 4 ran 5v0 for minutes as Groups 1 and 2 coached them. We then had Groups 1 and 2 run 5v0 calling out their action, while Groups 3 and 4 coached them again. At the end of 5 minutes they switched. When we came back to it later with the fusion drill, I still required offense to call out their action. Worked great! On to Layer 2.