fbpx

When to start teaching zone O

• When to start teaching zone O

Posted by Bill on June 13, 2022 at 4:23 pm

This is our first year of R & R. We will definitely see some zones early in our season. Is there a best time to introduce zone attack principles when teaching R & R?

Hector Cueva replied 1 year, 10 months ago 4 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Hector Cueva

June 13, 2022 at 4:45 pm

Bill,

In Layer 1 Cutting, look for Logo actions. Those are really good for Zone Attack. I would say introduce those as soon as your team grasps Front & Rear Cuts. You can also teach Layer 5 Pin Screens along with Layer 1. It all depends how much your team can handle and don’t worry about it being perfect, especially if it’s your first season with the R&R.

• Coach Ralph

June 14, 2022 at 7:24 am

Coach Bill: What is your age group, practice opportunities, and competition level (school, travel, etc).

• Bill

June 14, 2022 at 3:44 pm

High school girls – frosh, JV and Varsity. We will see part of this group a couple of days a week through July, so we have been utilizing some of the breakdown drills Layer 1, into those practices. We have some games 4-5 and a team tournament. Trying to get the ground work done with this group as well as give them an opportunity to be successful. We will see some zone in the games and tournament.

We are also going to be using the R & R in our feeder programs (7-8) as well as (4-6), as a base in the future. These are mostly man only requirements.

• Bill

June 14, 2022 at 3:47 pm

Thanks we will give that a try – our practice time is limited in the summer but it will give us some tools vs. zone teams.

• Coach Ralph

June 17, 2022 at 5:27 pm

Coach Bill: please provide your email and I will send you some notes I developed on running the R&R zone attack from my experience coaching middle school boys travel. Two practices a week, 8 week season. Simplicity is at a premium in this situation. I will tell you what to stress, what to watch out for, and what we struggled with due to ‘poor coaching’.

• Coach Rick

Organizer
    June 14, 2022 at 9:15 pm

In your case, introduce the zone side of the offense on the same day you teach that layer/action. Exsmple: If you are working on Layer 1 Passing, Cutting, where to fill out, etc. spend a few minutes against a zone and show them that their cuts are to the LOGO (not to the basket). Let them practice “hooking and looking” for the ball in the middle of the zone. What do you do when you catch it there? 1. Score by shooting or driving closer
    2. Pass to someone closer to the goal (like the short corner who is playing behind the zone).
    3. Pass “inside-out” to an open teammate who can shoot, drive, or pass & cut.

Another example would be when you teach Pin & Skip, show them how to apply it to a zone on the same day.

• Bill

June 24, 2022 at 12:46 pm

Thanks for your response. My email is Buckless.bill@gmail.com

• Bill

June 27, 2022 at 10:44 pm

Thanks so much the information- very helpful. Even included some drills!

• Hector Cueva

June 30, 2022 at 8:49 pm

Coach Ralph,

Could you send me your notes on the Zone Attack that you sent Coach Bill? My email is hacuevajr@gmail.com. Thanks!