fbpx

making reaction drills interesting

• making reaction drills interesting

Posted by jnolte on April 3, 2019 at 2:22 pm

I just finished my second year running the read and react in which we did the reaction drills daily. The biggest thing I hear from my players is that they are tired of the reaction drills and they find them boring or they just don’t feel like they are going game speed when there aren’t as many defenders. After doing some research I feel that I didn’t realize that we should be using the reaction drills for skill development–add in things like a change in the finish, or some footwork on the periemeter before a drive, or a different post move, or a defender in the passing lane to help spice up the drills. However I recently came across something that has piqued my interest in one of the webcasts. Once the action is a habit to add in defense and turn it into a live game. A couple examples given were to go 2o2 with a circle move drill or to go pin and skip and then go live on the catch. There were some additional rules to force the kind of actions you were trying to rehearse.

Has anyone ever done this? And if so would you be willing to share some examples of these?

Coach Rick replied 5 years ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Coach Rick

Organizer
    April 6, 2019 at 10:19 am

From my standpoint, the way to make the Reaction Drills more interesting (besides the things you have pointed out) is to take a look at the 3, 4, and 5 players drills on the website. The ultimate way to make it as interesting and game-like as possible is THE FUSION PRACTICE SYSTEM.