fbpx

"Go To" Action

• "Go To" Action

Posted by Corbin Clark on June 13, 2019 at 8:19 pm

Coach Rick/Community,

I realize that the Read and React by partially within it’s own definition is an alternative to systems that depend on set plays and rigid actions. However, in your experience is there an action, or a counter action that is commonly found within the read and react that you ever tended to use as a “go to” when you absolutely HAD to have a bucket? I realize it all depends on how the defense is playing you to a great extent, but I wondered if there was anything you liked to keep up your sleeve that catches the defense asleep when you need a bucket the most.

Corbin Clark
    Senath-Hornersville High School

Coach Rick replied 4 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Coach Rick

Organizer
    June 15, 2019 at 8:47 am

Hey Corbin,

I tend toward the simple actions because the players usually have more reps with it which means they are more confident which means there is a smaller chance of a turnover. One of my favorite “go-to” actions is a Rhythm Draft Drive: Pass to your right and cut; receiver passes to their left (the player filling the empty spot) and cuts; this second receiver catches and Draft Drives off the tail of the second cutter without hesitation. Most of the time there will be a fourth player who begins to fill the empty spot of the second cutter. This fourth player must change direction and go back to the spot from which they came when they see the Draft Drive occurring. This will create a Natural Pitch for the Draft Driver if the defender of the fourth player helps on the Draft Drive. The fifth player on the floor (if you’re 5 OUT) will be filling the Safety Valve of the Draft Driver. This is an easy action to put into a drill. Name the drill and you can call the action like a set play when you need it.