fbpx

Corner Game to teach Read Line cuts

• Corner Game to teach Read Line cuts

Posted by Nelson Handel on September 17, 2019 at 3:41 pm

Hi all,

I have been making the transition to become a more games-based coach, and have developed several to teach the R&R. (this might be sacrilege, but I think Rick appreciates innovation). Thought I share one that worked really well last night, when I introduced it, to teach the concept of Read Line cuts. I call it “Corner Game.”

SET-UP: 5 players per side of half court (1/4 court). four spots on floor: P/W/BL/under rim. Ball at P. Other four players pair O and D, with one pair (O & D) at BL spot, and other pair just out of bounds waiting to come in there.

ACTION: O player fills to wing, and if doesn’t receive pass, basket cuts, then fills out to repeat. If no pass from point, next pair does the same. Continuous until a completed pass. On completed pass, players rotate, with new passer at P.

RULES: O must go spot-to-spot (may not dance, V-cut, over-run, etc). Live D. Every player keeps individual score.

SCORING: O gets 3 pts for catch outside arc, 2 pts for catch on cut. They must shoot, but they get points for the catch, make or miss. Passer gets same points as receiver.
    D gets 1 pt for each “no catch circuit”, meaning their player did not receive the ball while filling and cutting. D gets 1 pt for deflections that kill the play. Play to 10 pts.

COACHING: If D fails to be aggressive on wing fill, ask why they gave up 3pts, when a cut pass is only 2pt. If O starts dancing, or cutting back and forth, remind them they must go spot-to-spot cleanly, and whistle their circuit dead (pt D). Remind them they must shoot the catch, but it doesn’t matter if it goes in (they will want it to anyway; this teaches catching and shooting if D drops, one of the 3 scoring actions)

RESULT: Let them play for 5-6 mn. The game will become very aggressive, and players will be looking for back cuts, changing speeds, and being very clever. Passers will be very aggressive threading the needle to cutters, much more so than in the 3-man game or any other cutter drills we have.

TEACHING: Then stop, and explain the rule of the Read Line cut as a part of the offense. Demonstrate the two kinds of footwork (2-feet mo-change; 1-foot push off). Describe the 90-10 focus principle (look at ball/focus on D feet). Finally, emphasize that this makes filling a SCORING ACTION, rather than a chore.

Then let them play another 5 mn. You will see noticeable improvement, and the skill will transfer much faster than conventional linear block teaching.

BONUS: If a player naturally curls a puppy dog, stop, celebrate, and recreate it for everyone as a teaching point. This gives two possible scoring actions on every fill.

PM me if you try this and see results! In 8 years of coaching the R&R, it’s the best teaching drill progression for this I’ve ever run. Better than the Deflection Game, so far, because defense fights to cut off perimeter pass, get deflection, AND defend cuts aggressively.

best swishes!

Nelson Handel replied 3 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Nelson Handel

September 17, 2019 at 3:43 pm

Oh, forgot to add the most important thing: it’s FUN!

• Coach Rick

Organizer
    September 18, 2019 at 10:12 pm

Nelson,
    If you ever get a chance to video this game for a few minutes, I would love to see it and perhaps share it if it’s OK with you.

Love the innovation!!
    Rick

• Nelson Handel

September 18, 2019 at 10:58 pm

Flattered to be asked, Rick. Thank you. I will try to get a camera on it and send it along. Sharing might be a privacy issue—I coach at a public HS—but I’ll look into it.

Cheers.

• heath

June 4, 2020 at 11:35 pm

got any more?

• Nelson Handel

June 6, 2020 at 3:19 pm

Hi Heath,

I play a lot of 3v3 games, adjusting rules, constraints, and violations to focus the action on actions I want to emphasize.

I often begin out of “3v3 closeout” formation: 3 Off on wings and point, 3 Def on baseline (new teams lined behind to come in). Ball starts on one end of BL, gets passed along baseline, player to player, then out to SS wing and across to opposite wing. After each Def pass, Def closes out to player furthest away (L BL to R wing, Center to Pt, R BL to L Wing). Game is live when last wing touches ball. This gives O a slight advantage for 1st decision, which i will sometimes constrain.

GAMES:
    3v3 Kickout – can only score at rim or three. cannot catch ball inside trip line. perimeter must push or pull (circle move) in relation to penetration. USES: encourages drive and kick, quick fill-outs (can’t receive ball inside trip line), drive/shoot decision making, catch-and-shoot receiving and feet technique. Coach can constrain 1st action (must drive), or D closeouts (arms length, or arms-length-to-help-positions) etc.

3v3 Cutter – Only cutter can score. Post slides considered “cut” for this game (catching on the move)

3v3 Screener – Must score off Reverse Dribble Ball Screen or Power Dribble. Can constrain Def (no switching, must hard hedge, must ice, etc). Can give extra points for desired result (3pts for pocket pass, lob, drive, etc). Can add kick-out scoring option (must push-pull circle move)

When first introducing the offense, I often use 3V3 Passing Game. P(b)/W/MP (that means player at point w/ball, wing, and midpost). P pass to W, W to MP, live on mid-post touch. I let them play that (badly) for a few, then change rules so they must cut after passing. They play that better, but still poorly for a few, then I stop and teach them twist passing, wrap passing, and drop passing in breakdown drills. Then we go back to the game. Point must twist pass to wing, wing must wrap pass to post, post can drop pass to cutter or play on. I add “must fill these 5 spots” spacing template.

This last game is a games-based approach to introducing the first three layers in a whole-part-whole fashion. I then teach each layer separately. I find teaching “sticks” better when players have a need for the knowedge before I give it to them, and when they have a taste of playing better with it generally, before I dig into it in detail.

This should give you a lot of ideas which you can play with to create small-sided games that focus the action on what you want to teach or drill. Vary constraints, rules, and violations (coach with the whistle, for example, calling turnover for failure to cut, or failure to push-pull) to focus on what you want. Then let ’em play! they’ll have more fun, and you’ll see the learning stick more quickly.

cheers,

• heath

June 6, 2020 at 11:20 pm

thats awesome ty, trip line???

• Nelson Handel

June 7, 2020 at 7:45 am

Three-point (triple) line. Sorry for the slang.