fbpx

4 out Read and React

• 4 out Read and React

Posted by Jeffrey on October 30, 2018 at 7:21 pm

What are some of your main R&R principles that you focus on if your best scorer is a post, who needs to be in the paint? I love R&R for 5 out, but I’m looking for more when we are in 41.

Jeffrey replied 5 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Byron Brown

October 30, 2018 at 8:24 pm

We had a kid come to the program mid-season and was a 6-4 kid and for a 9th grader was pretty good in the post but wasn’t the best ball handler. So we had him stay on one side of the floor in the mid post. When the ball was ball side we try to get him the ball if he didn’t get it he set a screen for the cutter and when the ball was weak side they set the screen for him. The only thing we had to teach him was how to post slide. The kids loved it and we where pretty productive with him in that spot.

• Coach Rick

Organizer
    October 31, 2018 at 7:41 pm

Here are some ideas (like Byron’s). You don’t have to do them all – just what works for you.

Start your post on the perimeter and drag the post defender outside. Teach your team to Dribble-At your post player. This sends him cutting to the basket – then he gets open in the post – leg whip, or whatever. Defenders are not used to guarding that kind of action.

If you feed the post, the post can make a move AFTER the Laker Cutter goes by – not before. This gives the post time to see if anyone is going to help and if the lane is open and which way to make his move.

If you don’t feed the post, the post backscreens for the cutter and then SHAPES UP to get the ball if the cutter is not open. This is a great way to give your post the ball in an iso situation.

If your post is weakside, his number one job is to set Pin Screens on helping defenders. Sell him on how this gets the ball back to his side of the floor.

• Jeffrey

November 9, 2018 at 4:56 am

How about when the wing passes up to the guard? I hate the basket cut and come back to the same spot, so I tell my girls they must take someone else’s spot with a back screen. This helps create real estate on the ball side for the dribble drive. Can you talk me into or out of this?