fbpx

Weak Side Cuts

• Weak Side Cuts

Posted by Camden on April 27, 2021 at 6:59 pm

One thing I like about the Read and React is it has in its DNA ways for the weakside to be looking for ways to hurt the helping defenders rather than just spacing out. Has anyone added any rules for cutting besides just the read line? Like if you see you defenders turn cut etc.

Just a thought, I’m just a diehard basketball not a coach so don’t hate on me too much

Thanks

Coach Rick replied 2 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Coach Rick

Organizer
    April 27, 2021 at 8:31 pm

Hard-Smart-Together,

The READ LINE in the Read & React is both a RULE and a TOOL. Rules take the decision out of the player’s hand. This makes teaching and learning easier. However, you should view as a TOOL to teach players how to read their defender and take advantage. I will never deny a player the chance to cut when they feel like they have read the situation correctly and can take advantage of their defender. Of course, they should not be cutting into space that another teammate is cutting or driving, but that should go without saying. If your defender cannot see you AND if there is space AND if the ball can see you and be delivered to you, then absolutely cut! The Read Line is part of the process of getting players to a certain level of basketball IQ without the ball.
    Rick