fbpx

Shot selection

• Shot selection

Posted by jnolte on June 29, 2020 at 4:36 pm

I am wondering how coaches who run the read and react teach shot selection?

Last season I had a few slightly above average shooters begin competing with each other for shots and it really hurt our team. What do coaches do to determine or teach shot selection out of the read and react system?

Coach Rick replied 3 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Coach Ralph

June 29, 2020 at 6:38 pm

Can you be more specific with the exact nature of the problem? Examples would be helpful.

• jnolte

July 10, 2020 at 1:34 pm

I have a few perimeter players who really like to shoot the 3 and I have a post player who is very good inside. There were certain games where it started to feel like players were shooting because they didn’t think they would get the ball back that possession. This led to us having many possessions that were 3 passes and a poor shot. I am fine with open 3 pointers, however our 3 pt shooting percentage was really down this year. I am trying to figure out how to get the players to be a bit more selective when attempting to get a quality shot.

• Coach Rick

Organizer
    July 13, 2020 at 6:28 pm

Sorry for the late reply. Shot Selection is a good topic and an tough question. I think you’ll be teaching shot selection all of the time regardless of what you are running. I can’t speak for the Tribe of coaches that run R&R. Why don’t you join us on Tuesdays and Thursdays in a Zoom meeting at 6:00 pm and ask everyone. Here’s the link:https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJYlceGhqDgiH91-TOkIz1ACABQ7HlN8xJBc