fbpx

Shooting the 3

• Shooting the 3

Posted by Coach Pierce on November 23, 2022 at 10:55 am

Hi All –

I am new to the Read and React but I’m really loving it. We installed it last week and my players are getting the concept.

One of my issues is that I have two incredible 3 point shooters. If they are open, they shoot about 60% from 3 in practice. Needless to say, I like it when they shoot.

What rules have you all used to green light a 3 points shot? They are set up 3 feet behind the read line, so they would need to step up to take that shot. I’m just not sure when to tell them to fire at will.

Also, are there some plays you like to run out of the R&R 5 out that get open 3 point shots for great shooters?

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.

Coach Rick replied 1 year, 4 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Coach Ralph

November 23, 2022 at 2:15 pm

I’ll let others chime in here, but I never ran special plays for my best 3 point shooters. Maybe I should have, but there are enough opportunities naturally occurring that I didn’t think it was necessary.
    If you want one drill that mimics a situation you will run into all the time, it’s a pernitrate and pitch drill ie..circle move. Make sure that your shooters know that when someone drives the lane, its showtime for them, and they cannot stand and watch.

• Coach Pierce

November 24, 2022 at 4:28 pm

Thank you coach! What “rules” do you use for shooting, is it as simple as “Shoot if you are open.” Or is it more complicated than that?

• James

November 24, 2022 at 9:47 am

There are about 100+ sets out of read and react in the quick-hitter section, 5-0, 3-2, and 4-1.

• Coach Rick

Organizer
    November 25, 2022 at 9:21 am

I agree that we must define what it “open” to our players. Of course, that’s tailored to each players abilities, but you mentioned 60% 3pt shooters. If you define “being in the bubble” as the defender’s ability to touch the ball in your shot pocket, then some 3pt shooters are open when a defender is outside their bubble (they can shoot without altering their form or their normal rhythm. However, some shooters must “step in” to their shot which means they need a little more space. A more general rule would be if when you catch the ball, your defender still has at least one foot in the lane, you have time and space to shoot your normal 3pt shot.

Regarding playing 3+ feet outside the arc, practice stepping toward the rim while the pass is in the air. Push off with the outside foot when the pass is made. It will square the shooter to the goal and their momentum is toward the rim. The passer should be leading the shooter to the inside (not necessary, but very helpful) because the shooter’s defender has allowed the space.

Whenever your 3 point shooters cut, they should try to backscreen any teammate that is 1 spot away from the ball. That way, they’ll be shaping-up to shoot after screening. If they find themselves 2 spots away from the ball, immediately set a Baby Pin Screen for the teammate who is one spot away and then shape-up for the 3 pt shot, or cut to the basket depending on how the defense plays.

If your 3 point shooters will obey the rules of cutting (Pass & Cut, Read Line Cut, Dribble-At Cut) and add the above two actions to their game, your team will have lots of player movement, threats on the rim, two different kinds of screens, and your best shooters will be more available.