fbpx

Read and React against the 1-3-1

• Read and React against the 1-3-1

Posted by Bob C on January 5, 2020 at 11:57 am

Does anybody have any experience/pointers with the read and react against a 1-3-1 our next couple of games are against teams who run this and I was looking for some advice on things to work on against this defense.

Brent Schwan replied 4 years, 2 months ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Coach Ralph

January 6, 2020 at 10:45 am

Coach Bob:
    What is your normal zone attack formation?

• jnolte

January 6, 2020 at 11:17 am

Dear Coach Bob,

I would say it depends on your personnel, however going 5 out and cutting through the zone with some ball movement has been effective for us. On a quick reversal we can often get the ball down to the flank. Baby pinning the wings up and then rolling with the screener has given us some easy lay-ups. If your zone offense is not working just running a 5 out pass and cut has been affect for us as well. Hope that helps!

• Coach Ralph

January 6, 2020 at 12:38 pm

Coach Bob:
    I was assuming you are asking what adjustments would you make against a 1-3-1 zone vs. a more traditional 2-3 formation. That is why I was asking what your standard zone formation/action is so tweaks could be suggested to improve effectiveness while limiting changes your players must make.

One of the biggest things you need to be ready for against a 1-3-1 is if the zone moves up to trap at half court or further. Teams that employ a 1-3-1 love to trap. To combat this, you must make sure your offensive set moves up also. If not, your PG will be forced to make bad angle passes that will get picked off and returned for a touchdown all day long. I’ve seen teams that trap 1-3-1 half court or 3/4 destroy other teams simply by forcing bad angle passes and picking them off. Those same teams had no decent offense to speak of, but didn’t need it. Their defense was their offense.

Move everyone up, not just the wings. BTW, you must have middle coverage. With the first action (pass, dribble at,), the middle should find an open spot on the perimeter because someone else will be occupying the middle. Your players need to comfortable making their usual hook, look and filling out actions away from their traditional half court locations. If you have training spots, move them back so they have something they recognize to work on, then lift them up and make them work it without the spots.

Make sure your PG does not panic, and if he has the space, use his back up dribble. Maybe back up before he crosses half court to give the team a chance to step back too. Watch the 10 seconds in this situation of course. To kick off your trap break, you need to shout out to your players “trap’.

Being able to slip easily into a 2 guard zone set will give this trap fits too. That back up dribble and a lateral pass to the other guard (passer then hooks middle, middle exits ) will be very difficult to trap. 

• Brent Schwan

January 12, 2020 at 5:56 pm

We treat it like a press break with pass cut fill. Sometime we will pass cut then seal the middle of the 3. Then pass and cut and that middle player cannot intercept. We found against any zone the sealing player was the key.