fbpx

Pass and Cut against Packline.

• Pass and Cut against Packline.

Posted by James on October 30, 2018 at 2:22 pm

Hi, this is for Coach Torbett, Do you think that teams that run Packline Defense, make the Pass & Cut far less effective than in the past? I for one think that anybody that is relying on the Pass and Cut as their main offense are in trouble regardless of what the defense is doing. Would love to hear your thoughts on this Coach Torbett?

Thanks
    Coach LaMacchia

Coach Rick replied 5 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Byron Brown

October 30, 2018 at 8:08 pm

We run the pack line in our program and what I have found is that kids that are lazy and don’t jump to the ball get puppy dog and front cut. As we all know know the skip pass hurts the pack line defense and when get the defense stretched out we pas & cut them. So you just don’t pass & cut.

• Coach Rick

Organizer
    October 31, 2018 at 4:49 pm

I agree with your statement “Anyone who relies only on Pass & Cut for an offense is in trouble regardless of what defense is run.”

It would be like giving a fighter only the JAB to use in a fight. The JAB is one of many tools that a fighter uses. You can score some points with it, but it is primarily used to measure distance and set up other weapons.

Pass & Cut is the same as a JAB. You need it. Its part of our circulation system, you can score occasionally with it, but it is primarily used to set up almost everything else in the Read & React.

Packline Defense was made to stop dribble penetration and crowd the ball-side of the floor. Your counter-move is to Pin & Skip from every spot on the floor. Treat the sagging/helping aspect of Packline like a Zone. Pin, Pin, Pin. You don’t have to shoot the skip pass. You can use it to drive the close-out or feed the screener inside, etc.