fbpx

Down Screens

• Down Screens

Posted by Hector Cueva on July 12, 2022 at 10:32 pm

Hello,

I was wondering how I would implement down screens within the R&R without breaking any rules. Does anyone have any tips or ideas of how to implement them? We have almost got the first 5 layers down but I would like to add some more off ball screens other than back screens, pin screens, staggered screens, etc.

Thanks for your time!

Donald replied 1 year, 8 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Sandra Stanford

July 13, 2022 at 6:45 am

Sometimes we will start the offense with screens down by the wings to the corners or screen across. Just a little wrinkle. Also, if the passer basket cuts and doesn’t get the ball back and doesn’t post, we have them screen away to try and get a teammate open. They call out their screen with a fist and name. This cutter basket cuts. The player with the ball needs to make sure they are seeing the whole court to see these new cutters. Also, if a player posts and doesn’t get it, make them screen someone to get out. As in any game, players won’t screen every time.

• Hector Cueva

July 14, 2022 at 8:20 pm

Sandra,

Would this work if your formation is 5 OUT? We are primary going to be in 5 OUT with a bit of 4 OUT 1 IN with the post at the short corner depending on personal and role identification.

Rick, would your ideas work for 5 0UT? If you have more I’d like to hear them as well.

Thanks.

• Coach Rick

Organizer
    July 13, 2022 at 9:12 pm

If you a player in the post, whoever is cutting can set the downscreen because it’s just a matter of angles. Vice versa holds true: If you had someone already in the high post, he/she can downscreen any cutter at the end of their basket cut.

• Hector Cueva

July 14, 2022 at 3:55 pm

Thank you for your responses. I will take a look at these options. Much appreciated.

• Hector Cueva

July 15, 2022 at 5:04 pm

I meant to say to the both of you is how would I teach this if my formation is 5 OUT or 4 OUT 1 IN with the post in the Short Corner? Those are the formations we would most likely use this season.

Another thought: if the player on top passed to the wing and his basket cut was stopped, could he set a down screen to the corner or wing? I remember in the 2010 version of R&R that was called a Corner or something like that.

Let me know you thoughts.

Thanks!

• Donald

August 7, 2022 at 10:50 pm

I have found downscreens easy to implement. Down screen wing to corner and use curls and fades. If cutter curls he continues with the randr actions. If the defense switches on the screen, the screener slips it to the basket and then he becomes the player in the box. After the curl cut happens the screener fills back replacing the cutter.