fbpx

1st Year using R&R

• 1st Year using R&R

Posted by Sean Rochester on February 16, 2019 at 9:44 am

Good morning – I wanted to throw a shout out to Rick and R&R…and for those coaches on the fence, where I was a year ago, just push your chips into the middle of the table and dive in! I started using R&R last spring with my 18U girls AAU team that has 3 of my high school players on it. That was my “lab”, and used it to learn on the fly before bringing it to my high school team June 1st for summer practices. We spent most of our summer/fall offseason using the R&R to refine fundamentals while they were learning the offense. We drilled the 3-man drills daily until it has become (almost) habit. We hosted a PGC/R&R clinic on our Hilton Head Island High campus in October with Rick and TJ Rosene, and I would highly recommend finding one near you if possible.

Last season, we were a 4-win team – this season, we won 13 games, won our region, and won a playoff game before losing to one of the best in our state last night. My senior PG (who was part of the AAU group too) won Region Player of the Year, and I would give a lot of her great season to the offense because it give her the freedom to post up smaller guards while flowing through the offense. I could go down the list of players on their improvements that I would credit R&R empowering them to play to their strengths, and hide their weaknesses. We rarely, if ever, are the biggest or most athletic team on the court – but we have intelligent players (4.5 average team GPA) that understood how to run the base layers of the offense. If you are questioning R&R, we just went 27 varsity games without having ever called a “play”. I certainly made points of emphasizing certain actions, but my girls learned how to adapt on their own to what the defense threw at them. They’ve learned HOW to play, not plays – and it only will get better as we move forward with a year of experience under most of their belts.

Thank you Rick and look forward to continuing to grow with R&R as our offense. If coaches have any questions, my e-mail is sean.rochester@beaufort.k12.sc.us or @CoachRochester on Twitter.

Sheppard replied 2 years, 4 months ago 12 Members · 23 Replies
  • 23 Replies
  • Coach Rick

Organizer
    February 17, 2019 at 8:48 am

Sean,
    I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to share your story! This will help a lot of coaches who are on the fence (which I understand – it’s a big shift in the way you look at the game, practice the game, and coach the game). But, looking at your experience, it’s worth it!

I hope anyone who is doubting and has questions will take you up on your generous offer and contact you via email.

By the way, let’s do the clinic again! Contact me!

Rick

• bluekaiser

July 26, 2019 at 12:22 pm

Sean,

Thanks for sharing. I have been on the fence about installing the Read and React this upcoming school year since I am a first year high school coach. It’s the way I think the game should be played so I am going all in. I’ll definitely be sending you an email.

• wsimmons24

February 20, 2019 at 12:15 pm

Thanks Sean,

How did you structure your R&R offense? I have a low skilled varsity team and we just ran pass & cut, dribble at, and post pass and cut. I would like to incorporate screening actions, but I’m struggling with how to do it. Any suggestions on how to structure the offense would be much appreciated.

• Sean Rochester

February 20, 2019 at 4:54 pm

Coach Simmons,

I e-mailed you this afternoon and included some video. Let me know if you have any other questions!

• Coach Ralph

February 28, 2019 at 2:10 pm

Coaches:
    I coached middle school boys travel in the Chicago area from 2011-2013. We were a R&R team and I loved it. I have seen Rick live multiple times also, the most recent being Nashville in 2018.I stopped coaching as my son entered high school, and I missed it. He is now in college, and I am semi-retired. I currently live in Plymouth, Mi., and am willing to answer any questions, review film, or have you look at my old team in action. Considering we only practiced twice a week, I think we did pretty good, including against zones. Hit me if interested.

• CoachWelch

March 28, 2019 at 3:53 pm

@ladyseahawksBB Coach I’d love to see email of how you incorporated screening as well as some video?

• CoachWelch

March 29, 2019 at 5:09 pm

When installing the read & react how many phases have Coaches initially installed??

• Coach Ralph

April 2, 2019 at 3:12 pm

Coach Welch:
    What level are you coaching? How often do you practice?

• CoachWelch

April 2, 2019 at 3:15 pm

High school varsity basketball. Practice everyday, I figure we’re gonna start with first 6 layers.

• Coach Ralph

April 2, 2019 at 4:01 pm

To avoid confusion, I will list out the specific layers.
    Pass and cut (with all sub actions like read line, draft drive, grip, rip and go, etc.), post pass and cut, dribble at, circle move, and post slide. IMO this would form the base.
    I would layer on top of this whatever screening actions you think would fit your team. This could include back screens from cutters, screens from your post player, x-cuts, power dribble, etc.
    I have a post in the 2nd year experiences thread where I identify two things I wish I did differently along with a drill aid (the face cards) that you might find helpful.

• Nelson Handel

July 30, 2019 at 12:12 am

I would hold off on screening actions for a while. Letting your team find its flow is far More Important. Screening requires mastery of timing and patience, which takes a while. Introduced too early and you just get chaos and traffic. Think about it halfway through first season.

• Coach Ralph

July 30, 2019 at 3:41 pm

I held off originally teaching screening actions for exactly the reasons Nelson mentioned. I tried to incorporate them mid-season with limited success. After the season was over I wished I had introduced it earlier. You will need screening actions to beat the better teams in your league who guard on the ball and off the ball well. To mitigate the confusion/congestion Nelson mentions, I would keep it real simple at the beginning. Maybe designate one player at a time that screens instead of filling out to an open space.
    One action I made up in the middle of a game was have the player who ran from SC to SC on our zone attack do the same thing against player 2 player one or two times After a couple of times, I had him flash to the ball handler and set a ball screen for a pick and roll. It worked very well. The key was not to screen too early. Make sure you “shuffle the deck” a few times to get the defense moving from ball to gap to help and then hit them with whatever screening action you want.

• Nelson Handel

August 6, 2019 at 5:33 pm

Good thoughts, Ralph!

• Coach Lambeth

August 27, 2019 at 8:57 pm

I add back screening on Day 1 as what I want the cutters to do from the corners. I don’t want them going back. By teaching back screening right away and the benefits of it, I can ensure my top players are always one pass away from the ball. Too often I have a high volume of shots from players I don’t want shooting the most. This allows my playmakers to get more touches, keeps the beauty of the read and react flowing, and gives me more shots from the players I want shooting the most (in addition to having my best playmakers touching the ball the most).

• CoachWelch

August 28, 2019 at 9:01 am

Coach could you go into a little more detail on your best players getting more touches with backscreening. This caught my eye because this is what we have planned to install this year.

• Coach Lambeth

August 28, 2019 at 8:18 pm

I’m honored that you asked. 🙂

I have some different roles for different players based largely on their effectiveness on offense and what they’re willing to do to create offense. For someone who doesn’t want the ball and doesn’t do us favors by shooting a lot, back screen for weak side corner in 5 out.

This past season I wanted my two best shooters and passers to get as many touches as possible. I found that mediocre or poor shooters were getting s lot of shots up in half court offense because they don’t move the ball enough for my taste and they may touch it as much as a star player. So when my best two players in terms of seeing cutters, not putting the ball on the floor immediately, and can drive and hit threes well are in the game and they’re passing and cutting, the best thing they can do for me is they don’t get the ball in the decision box is to see where the ball is, then go back screen one pass away. A LOT of times, their defender will help defend the cutter, as will the cutter’s defender, and now my best player is shaping up for a 3 one spot away from the ball.

Before I started doing this, I’d find my best players filling to a corner spot and this would be a skip pass away and they’d have a very low chance of touching the ball again on the possession. Instead, it’s possibly in the hands of a complementary player who doesn’t do things as well. I’d rather that complementary player receive the ball on the cut, the pitch or the dish.

A great player who is one pass away, left open due to screen confusion, is a welcome person to pass to because players hate committing turnovers from their own pass. So here we have my best player open for a 3, or he spent time sacrificing himself to get somebody else open unselfishly.

The natural pitch is a great way to get open for a three, but the chances of getting the ball are far less as you need to be in a certain position when a certain player drives, assuming they will pitch at all. Much more likely to get it when you’re constantly one pass away (and if the cutter gets it, I guess I’m ok with that layup)

• Bob C

September 8, 2019 at 9:42 am

Thank you for clarifying this, I agree that it can be frustrating if you do not have enough sound players to truly run the R&R. Since I am middle school I am still going to run it as intended most of the time as my goal is to develop players but I will keep these actions in my pocket and run during practice in case we need to utilize at a crucial moment.

• heath

April 19, 2020 at 5:50 pm

what do yall tell ur kids if corner is occupied and wing drives baseline side? just curious because i know it will happen and that kid will ask me that is playing the corner

Page 1 of 2