fbpx

dash new Forums Youth Coaching Youth R&R – 4 out or 3 out

• Youth R&R – 4 out or 3 out

Posted by James on November 29, 2020 at 2:21 pm

I bought the Youth R&R product. I love it, but I didn’t see anything re 4-out or 3-out. I have a couple of kids that are very turnover prone up top so I would like to switch to a 4-out or even 3-out version when those kids are in the game. Where can find info on 4-out and 3-out?

James replied 3 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Coach Rick

November 29, 2020 at 7:52 pm

Hey James!

You’ll find post play in Layer 2 and in the fifth section titled “Read & React Youth Screens”. Inside it, you’ll find a video titled “Youth Screens” (the third lesson) – around the 2:30 mark.
    Just watch the whole course from beginning to end and you’ll pick up the pieces of Post Play. You might be wondering why I don’t have a section called YOUTH POST PLAY. It’s because I don’t believe in planting a young, developing kid in the post where he/she is prevented from learning how to play basketball. On the other hand, I teach ALL of the players how to play in the post (see Layer 2).

If you are hiding players in the post to keep them from touching the ball and turning it over, then maybe these kids need to play a different sport. 🙂 If you plant 2 kids in the post to keep them from touching the ball, you’ll be playing with 3 players who cannot drive to the goal, or pass & cut to the goal, or take a Read Line cut to the goal, or use the Dribble At cut, or Draft Drive, or Real Estate Drive, or Kill the Close-Out drive, etc, because you have 4 players clogging the lane (your two posts and their defenders). Now you have to live with outside shots.

I’m not trying to be “mean” regarding these kids who cannot play, but I have to ask: “Why do you feel like you have to play them?” If they cannot Catch, pass, cut, shoot a lay-up, then I doubt if they can play back-to-the-basket and contribute anything to the team. Are they great rebounders? Are they great defenders? Are they such “energy givers” that you feel like you have to play them in order to win? If so, I would play them in the short corner and only pass to them when they are not guarded. Then your passer can make a straight basket cut and if your post cannot pass to them, he/she can pass the ball to someone on the perimeter (usually the one filling the empty spot on the wing.) Also, I would never play them both at the same time. You’ll be playing 3 vs 5 and that’s pretty tough.

I would teach them to start on the perimeter and when they have the ball, pass and cut HARD so that the receiver can DRAFT DRIVE them. (See Layer 1 on SPACING). After they cut, they can stop in one of the short corners and get ready to rebound any missed shots. As they gain more skills with the ball, you can slowly add more things that they can do.

Good luck! The best teachers of the game MUST be those coaching youth like yourself. Almost anybody can “coach” talent. Very few can actually develop it.
    Rick

• James

November 30, 2020 at 2:12 am

Thanks Rick! I coach 6th grade city recreational basketball. For most of my players this will be the last year they play basketball. I believe in giving all kids at this age a chance to play meaningful minutes but I also want to give the team its best chance to win. These two philosophies are often at odds. So unfortunately in games I will have to hide a couple of kids in the post, but I will continue to develop all kids in practice. I will run mostly 5-out in practice and hopefully by the end of the season all kids can run 5-out without turning the ball over. Hiding in the post isn’t the worst because if you are high energy, then you should still have plenty of opportunities to score with offense rebounds and receiving passes in the short corner.