fbpx

dash new Forums Youth Coaching Transition Defense

• Transition Defense

Posted by cushlash7 on October 18, 2019 at 3:34 pm

In man to man defense with youth players Should I have them match up before each quarter starts and they stick to that player, or should I just have them match up each possession and teach transition defense? Any tips on transition defense with youth players would be great.

Thanks!

Steve replied 2 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Ohmar

October 18, 2019 at 7:35 pm

What ages do you have? Our first game is tomorrow and I have U9 which are 7-9 year olds. I will let you know what works best for my group tomorrow. I would imagine it would depend on the level of understanding they have of the game. I have all levels so I will have to do it after each stop in play and teaching them during the game.

• cushlash7

October 19, 2019 at 9:30 am

I’ll be coaching 5/6 grade girls this year. I coached 3/4 grade last year and had them match up before each quarter and some struggled with that and against the better teams we got beat in transition a lot so this year I want to try something different. I’ve read that with youth for transition D you can tell them to hustle back to the paint and then match up from there, protect the easy layups first. Has anybody has experience with that?

• Ohmar

October 20, 2019 at 9:12 am

So yesterday we won overwhelmingly because of our offense and aggressive kids. I tried the matching up and the get back to the paint on defense. The majority of their scoring came from jump shots just above or at the free throw line. Kids remember spots to get to I think. So go to the paint then match up literally meant crowd the paint until you see your man. Towards the end of the game I did find that my team started communicating on who gets who. I will build on that and in transition first stop the ball then match up. Somebody says I got the ball then they call who they have. Didn’t matter if it was their original assignment or not. That was our first game so we will see if we can perfect it by next game. Hope that helps.

• Steve

December 19, 2021 at 12:58 pm

This is my first year coaching 6th grade boys and was wondering if anyone had an update teaching youth Transition D. Working on the layers and coming along but getting crushed in transition on Defense. Thanks! – Steve