fbpx

dash new Forums Fusion Practice System Offensive Rebouding

• Offensive Rebouding

Posted by Charles on December 24, 2018 at 5:14 am

I was wondering how to have offensive rebounding accountability while running fusion. Coach Rick talks about the responsibilities on the board, but during the video there is no offensive rebounding going on. How do other coaches do it? Do you make the defense not have balls for their partners?
    Thanks for your input!

Coach Lambeth replied 4 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Coach Rick

December 24, 2018 at 10:27 am

Here’s one of the reasons why I have the defenders carry/dribble a ball while playing defense in FUSION:
    In order to practice rebounding, someone must shoot a ball.
    If all 5 offensive players shoot a ball, then all 5 defensive players can practice blocking out and rebounding.
    In order for all 5 offensive players to shoot a ball, their defensive partners need to have a ball.
    When the rehearsal shot is taken, the other 4 defensive players can pass to their offensive partners so that shots are taken.
    Now, the defenders can block out and rebound.
    Now, each defender is accountable to pursuing the ball that they passed to their offensive partners.

I did not have an entire season to train the players in the FUSION video. I had limited time to video this project. Sometimes they blocked out and rebounded and sometimes they did not. If I had repeated each of the 32 rehearsal steps in defensive mode (one for each team = 64 takes) until I got the defense to perform perfectly, I would still be videoing the project. 🙂

Not only was I not satisfied with the team’s consistency when performing block-outs and rebounds, I was not satisfied with defensive close-outs, or how they guarded the ball, guarded basket cuts, defended the post, helped and recovered on every defensive situation, just to name a few. So, I was forced by time constraints to take the best clips I could get. This meant that almost none of the clips were perfect. (It’s a high school team after all.)

Taking any team through the FUSION process for the first time will expose all of their weaknesses in all 6 areas that we’re trying to train. Exposing their weaknesses does not mean they are automatically solved. It means I will have to teach them what they don’t know and demand it from them daily until it is mastered.

If I was coaching this team, I would have stayed in Layer 1 rehearsals until I got the defense to the do the following:
    1. Get in, move in, stay in a defensive stance until we get the ball.
    2. Communicate what they are doing at all times until we get the ball. (“Ball, help, close-out, block-out, rebound, bust-out”)
    3. Perform close-outs properly (no fouls) and check-out or block-out depending on your location.
    4. After rebounding the shot, everyone should perform a “bust-out” dribble and peek at the rim on the other end of the floor (a crucial habit if you’re going to have good transition to offense)
    5. How to guard the ball (in the bubble, on the bubble, outside the bubble, square or forcing?)
    6. How to defend cutters
    7. Where to be if you are not guarding the ball.

The above 7 would have been taught and demanded the first day of practice. These are fundamental to any type of defense and are therefore non-negotiable. I would introduce punishment/reward based on these 6 and playing time would be contingent on them.

It’s not what you teach, it’s what you EMPHASIZE that counts!

• Nohea Pangkee

January 8, 2019 at 9:24 am

Aloha Rick

Could you elaborate on what u have in mind for the punishment/reward you mentioned. I.e. how would you enforce punishment without disrupting the flow of Fusion?

Thanks for the insight

• Coach Lambeth

August 29, 2019 at 7:07 am

You could run Dick Devenzio’s Line Drill, and with that, you state your point of emphasis before rehearsal so the players understand what to concentrate on. But it sounds like you might want to build and emphasize good habits before implementing Fusion. Fusion allows for quality repetition of ingrained good habits.

On day 1 of Fusion, players should already be closing out on the arc of the drive, hands in a diamond to the right ear (if that’s what you want for a closeout).