fbpx

dash new Forums Zone Attack Half court traps

• Half court traps

Posted by Greg Scott on November 6, 2018 at 3:31 pm

What suggestions does anyone have versus 1-3-1, 2-3, 3-2 half court traps in terms of using Read and React rules?

CoachMay replied 5 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Coach Rick

November 7, 2018 at 8:42 am

Regardless of the formation, you need a receiver in the middle of the floor. With Read & React, (and regardless of YOUR formation), pass & cut to the middle of the zone – stop and look for the ball. While the passer is cutting, a teammate should be filling their open spot. I find that traps and presses cannot defend both of those actions at the same time.

On the next ball movement, the middle player fills out to an empty spot and the next cutter is filling the middle. This is just Layer 1, but it occurs anywhere on the floor – wherever the trap is being sprung.

There’s no rule that says you cannot FLASH a player to the middle when the ballhandler is trapped or just before they are trapped. But if the middle is not open, and a pass is made, the passer should cut to the middle as the middle player fills out. Filling out, Cutting to the middle, and filling the empty spot is a combination of movement that traps and presses cannot handle.

With a little practice, this is so effective that I cannot believe that presses and traps still work.

• CoachMay

January 30, 2019 at 4:34 pm

I also use the language of “read-line. When the ball is being dribbled up the the sideline and a trap is about to occur, then a pass up the sideline is usually taken away; however, if your players treat this like a read-line and cut and sit in the gap of the trap, then often times they will be open to break free.