fbpx

dash new Forums Youth Coaching First Practice

• First Practice

Posted by Ohmar on October 2, 2019 at 7:25 am

I am coaching a U9 team of boys and girls at our local YMCA for the first time. We have an hour and maybe an hour and a half for practice on just half court with 1 basket. How would you suggest setting up for the first practice? What do I need to say? What do I need to begin going over with them. My plan is to have them running RR and player development.

I will also be coaching a middle school boys JV basketball team for my 2nd year. Last year I learned a lot from coaching for the first time. This year I have been studying coaching so I can be of better service to the kids. How would you suggest the first practice for them as well. Oh, and last year at this school, private Catholic school, there were no tryouts. Pretty much 6th graders that want to play can come and play and they divide the 7th graders up between JV and Varsity, also no tryouts. 8th graders are Varsity. I ended up having 17 boys on my team! It was pretty much a disaster as it relates to playing time and development.

What would you suggest or any advice on this would be great!

BigBB replied 4 years, 6 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Coach Rick

October 2, 2019 at 1:28 pm

Check out the course called THE FIRST DAY OF PRACTICE.
    Then check out THE FUSION PRACTICE SYSTEM. I would spend the second practice implementing the FUSION SYSTEM. Stick to the first one or two “REHEARSALS” until you’re happy that they can compete in a LIVE scrimmage.

• Coach Rick

October 2, 2019 at 1:28 pm

Check out the course called THE FIRST DAY OF PRACTICE.
    Then check out THE FUSION PRACTICE SYSTEM. I would spend the second practice implementing the FUSION SYSTEM. Stick to the first one or two “REHEARSALS” until you’re happy that they can compete in a LIVE scrimmage.

• Ohmar

October 2, 2019 at 6:29 pm

Thank you so much for your quick response. I honestly didn’t expect that! Is that course you mentioned included with the subscription? It has a payment showing. Thank you for your help on this!

• Paul

October 11, 2019 at 12:11 am

Hi, I am preparing to coach 8 and 9 year olds and I think the R&R would be a great system to teach kids how to play basketball. I am a little confused on which videos I should follow to start coaching the kids the R&R, between ‘Youth Read and React’, ‘Youth Practice and Drills 1-8’, and ‘1 Youth Practice: 90 minutes to a Working Offense’.

• Ohmar

October 17, 2019 at 8:44 am

My team isn’t ready for R&R quite yet. I found out that most have never played the game so I had to go back to the basics on dribbling and passing and that type of thing. I think when they are ready I will start in order with the 1st. Trying to explain it and get them started in the time that their attention spans allow is a challenge though.

• BigBB

October 22, 2019 at 10:00 am

I agree, I have tried R&R with limited success because half of the kids cannot catch or pass well. It kinda relies on those core skills. I am changing my philosophy a bit after playing some teams that emphasize defense. They would spend more than 60% of their practices on trapping, pressing and Shell (man) defense. If the other team cannot score or get to the basket you can win 2-0. In reality they create turnovers and get most of their points in transition. We will still continue to teach R&R as they get more skilled.