fbpx

dash new Forums Youth Coaching Early Season Troubles

• Early Season Troubles

Posted by bgd7030 on November 10, 2018 at 8:46 am

Hey Coaches,

I’m currently experiencing early season struggles with the basics of R&R. Our team consists of 2 very talented guards. Outside of those 2, there’s not that much talent. My problem is, when we are running later 1, we get the ball to a perimeter spot and the player doesn’t have the skills to catch, rip, then face up. The ball will stall at that spot and we’ll end up with a turnover or a 5 second call. Yes, I need to drill it more to the kids, but right now a lot of our kids don’t have those skills yet to apply it in games. A lot of our offense is generated by the 2 guards drafting in lanes created when other players basket cut.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

chrisjvandyke replied 5 years, 4 months ago 5 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • George

November 10, 2018 at 11:30 am

I saw this last year as well. I decided to start with body control drills. Start with simply just having the players spin the ball out in front of them and go to the ball landing on two feet. Then add three player passing with two basketballs in the outside players hands. Player in the middle passes to the outside player then does a front or reverse pivot to pass the next outside player. From here we go to the filling up drill from the corner spot to the wing. Coaches stand near the top. Have the players jump to the ball landing on two feet. Progress when ready to pivoting. Once they understand the opening up or facing the basket add the “haircut” or “knee to knee”. Hope this helps. Sure helped my 6th graders.

• Coach Rick

November 13, 2018 at 8:46 am

I agree. There’s no way around working on these players’ skills. I would start with “one-player-motion” each day and teach them how to protect their space by being in a powerful stance, establish and maintain 3 point contact with the ball, change levels, and pivot.

Then put a partner on them to pressure them, slap and dig at the ball – with the goal of getting the ballhandler used to pressure – confront your fear and don’t back down.

Then I would add a third player – someone to pass to after performing a little “one-player-motion”. The passer follows his/her pass and becomes defender on the ballhandler.

Eventually move this to a double-team on the ballhandler. If you can keep your composure and control your fear with two players pressuring you, then one player becomes easier.

• bgd7030

November 13, 2018 at 2:19 pm

Thanks for the feedback coaches! I’m working with 7th/8th boys and most of them are not ready for the defensive pressure.

I am learning to not rush through the layers. If they cannot do this essential skill, it doesn’t make sense to go onto layer 2. My next step after teaching them to be ball strong is to see the cutter. Slow process for sure!

On the videos it looks so easy to teach this to the kids. In reality it takes a long time!

• fitzvt42

November 26, 2018 at 7:55 am

Agree with all points above. Coaching 5th graded boys and having the same issues with pressure D, drilling the heck out of being strong with ball. Putting emphasis on Read line back door and stepping back off read line to ensure better spacing/cutting. Also, to try and “force” a decision with those less skilled, put in dribble at. Easy way to praise a great cut!

• chrisjvandyke

November 27, 2018 at 11:24 pm

Well, we (4th grade boys) just had our first practice last night of installing the R&R. The players really got into East West passing, and then dribble-ats. We then drilled for a bit (front cuts, rear cuts, dribble ats) and then ran the deflection shell drill game with our kids.

My assistant and I have decided to hold off on layer 2 (for now) and review Layer 1 and 3, and then work in layer 4 our next practice. I feel that if I got into layer 2 our heads would spin. Does anyone think we are wrong in doing so?

We have had 4 practices so far. The first 3 we really drilled fundamentals (and have worked on shell drill each time). The fourth practice we spent a great deal installing layers 1 and 3, fundamentals and then shell game.

We have 3 practice left before our first game.. Each practice is 1.5 hours. What I am struggling with is maintaining a schedule where we still get fundamental work in (player development), defensive work in, and installing the offense.

Does anyone have any practice plans or ideas that they are willing to share?

We currently have access to the 8 youth practices and the 90 minute offensive practice, but I am seeing if someone has a plan in place so I am not re-inventing the wheel for each practice.

Again we are 4th grade boys of mixed abilities and really need to be able to develop these guys as basketball players as well as be able to work our X and O’s

Thanks