fbpx

dash new Forums Fusion Practice System Cutting: Filling out vs Screens/Posting up

• Cutting: Filling out vs Screens/Posting up

Posted by Jay Melbourne on January 27, 2019 at 5:58 am

Hey coaches,
    I coach various teams just outside of Toronto and I’m pretty early into my season with my grade 7/8 teams. I’m looking at the whole read and React system like a chess game. At this age level (and perhaps any level) creating as many layup opportunities, and outsmarting our opponents with good decisions will give us the best chance at victory. I’ve been coaching the read and React for a while but my question to everyone is this, what is the benefit of just filling out?

I’ve toyed with the idea of after every cut, post up for a one action or go set a back screen at my last practice. This looked terrible at first and then seemed to look pretty good, with multiple back screens and constant threats to score as we went along with no defence. Is this what you guys do or is filling out preferred?

Also, if you do run screens or post up every action, how long do you recommend a player hold the ball for? These kids I coach are pretty young, so it was pretty typical for them to create a double or triple screen and have the player with the ball completely miss it and pass somewhere else.

Have I made things too complicated for these players or do I just need to continue to drill and drill?

Jay

Coach Rick replied 5 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Coach Rick

January 27, 2019 at 6:18 pm

Hey Jay!
    I’ll be interested to hear what coaches say. I don’t think you’ve complicated things too much. As long as these players have a little experience with the Read & React, doing what you’re doing is the next step. Just filling out is for beginners.
    With the posting, you might be able to add that those who post, but don’t receive the ball should also backscreen out – preferably the player who just passed.
    Also, I would point out to the players that there will be more chances to drive with these screening actions being done. Look for Real Estate to drive.