fbpx

dash new Forums Fusion Practice System Back screen out with uphill pass from corner Problem

• Back screen out with uphill pass from corner Problem

Posted by rbahoops on October 31, 2019 at 4:45 pm

Coaching a 7th grade girls travel team- B- level this year. Not having much success teaching them to screen their way out when they pass uphill from corner to wing. (Note: I have already given up on having them screen their way out on the uphill pass from wing to top). They are just so slow. I’ve broken it down to 3-4 player drills but when we try to run the O using the Fusion baseline or 2 hand hold, it’s a mess. I would love it if they could screen their way out because it also opens up a driving opportunity for the wing. I’m thinking of having the wing player stop on opposite block so backscreener has less to run, although that will mess up the spacing. Help! Do I stick with it or just have them go back out to corner they came from (the original way).
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Coach Wade replied 4 years, 5 months ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Adrian

October 31, 2019 at 9:34 pm

I would (and have) break it into two parts:
    i) make sure they cut all the way through on a corner to wing pass. This is because I want the baseline draft drive to be an “automatic”. If they come back, it clogs up the drive. That seems to be easy to understand. You can then get them to stop on the opposite block if you want for a pass, if you wanted.
    ii) then re-introduce the back-screen.

Hope that helps

• Coach Rick

November 1, 2019 at 6:47 am

I agree with Adrian. When you pass from a Wing or Corner, don’t come back to the same side. Seek any kind of action on the other side: Fill out to an empty spot, Back-screen on the perimeter, Screen for a weakside post player, fill an empty weakside post spot, curl around and set a Pin Screen on any helping defender. I know that some of this does not apply to youth, but it eventually will. That’s why you have to stick to your guns.

• Coach Wade

November 12, 2019 at 5:54 am

I’m with the guys here.
    It’s all about getting them to seek action on the opposite side consistently.
    Hey, that’s what this FUSION way of practicing is great for… you can MAKE them do it over and over.
    There’s too much success that can come with that ‘screen your way out’ and ‘seeking action opposite’ way of playing.
    You’re breaking bad habits and coaching up good basketball players.
    You got it, coach! You’re doing the B team kids a favor by insisting they learn good basketball habits. Maybe next year they’ll jump up to the A team because they can “think the game” (PGC Terminology there) better than the other kids who may be better athletes.