fbpx

dash new Forums Youth Coaching 1st Year with R&R

• 1st Year with R&R

Posted by ndaabasketball2018 on October 26, 2018 at 7:09 pm

This is my 1st year using the R&R. Anyone here in Dallas, Texas currently using the R&R. I am open to anyone to collaborate with (almost anyone).

Coach Rodney Lake
    NDAA Lady Sentinels Head Coach

Jeff replied 2 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • James

October 28, 2018 at 12:10 pm

Coach, I have been running the offense since 2007 and have seen Rick a few times, if you have any questions please post or friend me.

Thanks
    Coach LaMacchia

• ndaabasketball2018

October 29, 2018 at 10:14 pm

Are you in Texas, Coach?

Coach Lake

• Steve Richberg

October 29, 2018 at 1:42 pm

Hey Coaches!

This is my first year running the R&R and I am loving it so far. The boys are really catching on to Layers 1-3. Layer 4 is still a work in progress but majority of them are understanding the circle movement. Almost there and loving it all so far. Cant wait to show you guys some footage of my 5th grade boys out here in Missouri. Trust me on this, I will be reaching out to you guys bouncing off ideas, issues and/or situations that i am coming across.

Good luck Coaches on your upcoming seasons!
    Coach Richberg

• BigBB

April 10, 2019 at 11:24 am

We have a 5th grade boys tournament team here in Houston and wondering how its working for you. Boys seem to forget to cut and lose spacing so far. Any tips?

• Coach Ralph

February 28, 2019 at 2:05 pm

Coaches:
    I coached middle school boys travel in the Chicago area from 2011-2013. We were a R&R team and I loved it. I have seen Rick live multiple times also, the most recent being Nashville in 2018.I stopped coaching as my son entered high school, and I missed it. He is now in college, and I am semi-retired. I currently live in Plymouth, Mi., and am willing to answer any questions, review film, or have you look at my old team in action. Considering we only practiced twice a week, I think we did pretty good, including against zones. Hit me if interested.

• Coach Ralph

April 11, 2019 at 12:43 pm

Big BB: As far as cutting goes, use a combination of the following: a) repetition, repetition, repetition. No more “lay up” lines, all lay up drills are pass and cut or draft drive situations. b) I started out almost every practice with me saying to my team “When we pass…”, and the team had to respond “We cut!” Just so you know, when you run into those same players at the grocery store 6 years from now, they will yell out to you all the way across the store “When we pass…” 🙂 c) Remind your team that when they pass and cut, the cutter is always the first scoring option. So if they want to score, they need to cut. D) Show film of players cutting, and heap effusive praise on them for doing so. If you have no game film yet, film a practice drill. Do not use team film study time to simply call out players for not cutting unless you include footage of them cutting as well. BTW…water breaks are for film review, not just re-hydrating, so make sure your players bring something to drink to avoid lines at the drinking fountain during film review.
    For spacing, buy the spots. Challenge them mentally to hit the spots in practice. “This is big boy basketball guys, not the drive way or the park. Hit the spots, or hit the bench”. Also move the spots a little farther back than you really want the players to go in practice. Players often cheat to shrink the court during live action, so hopefully you can achieve a happy compromise this way.
    Just so you know, over time, the team should improve in both of these areas.

• Jeff

August 9, 2021 at 7:13 am

Great insights coach. Will try to use these ideas