fbpx

dash new Forums Youth Coaching 1-3-1 zone league 5/6 grade girls

• 1-3-1 zone league 5/6 grade girls

Posted by cushlash7 on August 30, 2019 at 7:31 am

Hi, the last 2 years I’ve coached most of the teams play 1-3-1 half court trap defense. Last year was the first year I tried Read and React for my 3/4 grade girls and they were great at doing it in practice (first 2 layers) but it didn’t translate as well in game because of the zone defense’s. This year (I’ll be coaching 5/6 grade girls) I subscribed to the youth package where I’ve gotten introduced to the zone attack, I am wondering if to simplify things, and because that is what we mostly face, should I only teach them the zone attack offense?

Coach Ralph replied 4 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Coach Rick

August 30, 2019 at 7:56 am

If your opponents are trapping, then you must break it the same way you would break a full-court press. You can do it using what you’ve already taught in the first layer of the Read & React. Find the course “PRESS BREAK” which I released a few months ago in the spring. If your opponents stop trapping and just play a straight up 1-3-1, “ZONE ATTACK” will help, but you must keep it very, very simple for 5th & 6th graders. I would suggest 4 OUT with a permanent Short Corner. Find that chapter in the ZONE ATTACK course.

• cushlash7

August 30, 2019 at 9:22 am

I just want to say I think its so cool how you reply and interact with us I really enjoy your coaching method. Unfortunately I don’t have access to the full zone attack, only to the simplified fantastic 4 zone attack videos. If I could purchase just that one video I would but I can only see the $299 version. I think I have an idea of how it would work, but does the permanent short corner go side to side depending on which side the ball is on? And when they fill out they only fill out to the perimeter spots correct?

Thanks,
    Josh

• Coach Ralph

August 30, 2019 at 1:46 pm

Coach Josh:
    I sent you notes on how we ran our 4 out w/permanent SC. Hopefully it will answer many of your questions.